Thursday, June 12, 2008

Drinking and Driving, Who's Next?



Let me begin by saying I was a certified trainer for the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission. I gave classes to people to become certified to sell and serve alcohol in Texas. The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission's website is www.tabc.state.tx.us

Now, with all of the legal declaration out of the way, I will tell you this issue has garnered quite a bit of attention here on Digg. For example, Brian Cuban just wrote an interesting article Does Every 15 Minutes Scare Kids “To Death”? It just went front page a few minutes ago. I always hear people say after reading a story "this would never happen to me" and the second argument is "why don't we lower the age of drinking from 21 to 18?

If you are anything like me, you become a quick skeptic to these arguments. Why? Because I have found that people are pretty well divided on the issue and no blog or YouTube will change their minds because they don't ever think they will have any problems when they drink and drive. There are people who just won't drink and drive (like myself) and those that want to tempt fate.



I try to get the word out. If these accidents occur to people who are supposedly of legal age, what makes us think it will get better if we reduce the age to 18? It makes no sense. I bet everyone that isn't sold on the idea of not drinking and driving didn't even make it through the first video. They are probably long gone to another story. For those of you that have made it this far, thank you. Let's try to educate our young people, and older people as well. DWI accidents know no certain age. It happens to all age groups.

So, forgive me for being skeptical when I say this, but when you have a DWI accident please remember I tried to caution you.

No comments: